How to apply
In order to be eligible for Indefinite Leave To Remain, you must meet the eligibility requirements as set out below:
- You have been living continuously in the UK under the qualifying period.
- You are a good character.
- Have passed the life in the UK test.
- Have passed the English language test (if required).
- Have not spent more than 180 days outside the UK.
In most cases, you need to show that you have been living in the UK for a period of 5 years in order to qualify for indefinite leave to remain.
Not all visa routes lead to settlement and there are only a handful of visa routes that will allow a migrant to permanent settle in the UK.
You can apply for ILR on the basis of how many years you have spent in the UK. A migrant can settle in 2, 3, 5 and 10 years.
In certain circumstances, a migrant can apply for ILR sooner and these circumstances are:
- If the migrants British spouse dies.
- If they were a victim of domestic violence.
A migrant with ILR, can also lose their status if they spend over a certain period outside the UK.